In a shocking incident, three persons including father and son were killed due to an electrical short circuit in bordering Tangdar town of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district during pre-dawn hours on Wednesday.
Locals blamed the Power Development Department (PDD) for loss of lives claiming the short circuit was caused due to negligence of officials.
Two others were critically injured in the incident at around 3:00 am, reports said. All five persons got electrocuted after they tried to switch off electric appliances in their houses in Nad village.
They suffered ciritcal injuries and were rushed to local health center, where three of them succumbed. Two others are undergoing treatment, health officials said.
Station House Officer (SHO) Tanghdar Mohd. Waseem Budoo told Curtain Raiser the victims were electrocuted after they tried to put off electricity following the short circuit.
The officer identified the deceased as Abdul Qadeer 55, son of Mohammad Yaqoob Chak, Tabir Ahmad Chak 26, son of Abdul Qadeer Chak and Qari Nawaz Ali Khan 22, son of Ali Asgar Khan.
Mohd Irshad 30, son of Ali Asgar and Sakeena Begum 45 wife of Abdul Hamid Joo.
“A case under RPC section 304 A has been registered against power department for their alleged negligence. Investigations has been initiated and those responsible shall be dealt under law,” Budoo added.
Meanwhile, locals said that despite repeated requests the power department has not repaired transmission lines leading to loss of precious human lives. They demanded registration of a murder case against department.